RECIPE for KAREE
Serves 11 people
Cooking time – 4 hours
INSTRUCTIONS for Pakora’s
1. Finely chop the onions and potatoes.
2. Chop the spinach and fresh dhanya.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix. Pakora recipe
should ideally be made the night before for best flavour. Minimum 4 hours
before. Don’t add water, as water will come out of the potatoes.
INSTRUCTIONS for Karee
1. Heat sunflower oil in a large saucepan over medium heat,
add 1 onion and brown, once brown add garlic and fry for a further minute.
2. Add 1 and a half yoghurt pots and 1 heaped small cup of basin in a
blender and fill the blender jug with water. Blend until mixed well and
consistency is quite thin.
3. Add the blended mix into the pan with onions and garlic, then top-up
pan with approx 2 blender jugs of water – the mixture should be thin in consistency.
4. Add the following spices – 2 tsp chilli, 1 heaped tsp haldi, 1 tsp zeera,
2 tsp dhanya , 2 tsp salt.
5. Once boiled, simmer for about 3 hours until mixture is thicker.
6. Whilst cooking, brown 1 medium onion, 1 tsp zeera, 1 tsp dried chilli’s for tarka.
Put this to the side.
7. After 3 hours, shallow fry pakora’s in a separate pan ( this will take about 25 mins, continue simmering the karee) and add to the karee, and also add the above tarka once pakora’s have been added.
8. Simmer for another 20 mins and finish with fresh dhanya and 1 tsp of garam masala.
Karee will thicken as it cools, and will taste even better the next day.
8. Eat with boiled rice or roti.