RECIPE for Saag Chicken
Serves 11 people
INSTRUCTIONS for Chicken Saag
1. Chop 7 to 8 bags of spinach and place in large pan.
2. Add water to spinach and simmer, this will reduce the spinach also to make it more manageable.
3. In a separate pan slice 6 onions and lightly brown in vegetable oil.
4. Add lemon or vinegar to the raw chicken as this prevent it from breaking, then add to the brown onions. Seal chicken for about 5 mins.
5. Place 15 cloves of garlic, 3 inches of ginger, and 6 green chillies into a grinder. Once ground add to the chicken and continue cooking.
6. To the spinach add 2 tablespoons of methi this can be dried or fresh methi.
7. Add the following spices to the chicken – 1 and half salt, half tsp of haldi, half curry powder (optional), 1 and half red chillies, 2 tsps of freshly ground dry zeera and dhanya, 1tbsp of dried or fresh methi. Cook for a couple of mins.
8. Add 1 full tin of tomatoes, followed by half a tin of water using tomato tin to the chicken.
9. Add 2 to 3 spoons of yogurt to the chicken.
10. Continue to cook the chicken and spinach in separate pans if there is too much water.
11. Once there is less water, add the spinach to the chicken and cook together until water is gone. Whilst cooking add 1 heaped tsp of garam masala, 3 pierced fat green chillies, and 3 tbsp’s of butter ( optional, baji adds if there is butter in the house).
Eat with yum yum roti’s or boiled rice.