RECIPE for Karrelle (Bitter Lemons)
Serves 3 people
Instructions for Karrella
1. Take 5 karrelle and scrape the skin so its smooth, place the scraped skin into a ball. Make a slice in the middle to scoop out the seeds. Do not chop the karrelle. Add salt to the scraped skin in the ball, and rub salt on the inside and outside of the smoothed karrelle. Let the karrelle sit for at least 2 hours with the salt ( the salt will make the karrella less bitter ), then wash the salt out from the scraped skin and the whole karrelle.
2. Finely chop 3 onions, 3 fresh tomatoes, 3 fresh green chillies and 3 cloves of garlic and about an inch of fresh ginger. Add the onions into a pan and saute with oil for 5 minutes.
3. At the same time in another pan place the scraped skin and fry until lightly brown.
4. After 5 mins add the chopped garlic into the onions and fry for another minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes, green chillies and ginger to the onions.
5. Follow this by adding the dried spices, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dhanya, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp dried chillies, 1/4 curry powder if you have it in your cupboard, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder. Place a lid on the pan so the water starts to dry.
6. Once the scraped skin is brown, drain the oil then add this to the onion mix too. When adding the browned scraped skin at the same time add fresh chopped dhanya and 1/4 tsp of garam masala. Let this whole mixture dry out until the oil is separated and there is no water. Once dry place into a bowl and cool.
7. When the onion mixture is cool, take a karella and stuff with the onion mix. Tie a thread around the karrella so the mixture does not fall out. You should have about 4 tbsp’s of onion mix left, this will be used as a garnish at the end. Once all 5 karrelle are stuffed put them into a frying pan with a very low heat, begin browning the skin. The skin will take about 45 mins to cook, turn the karelle around every 7 mins so they are evenly browned on all sides. Be careful not to burn them.
8. Once cooked and nicely browned, garnish with the left over onion mix. When serving gently remove the thread and eat with delicious roti and yogurt.