RECIPE for Lamb Pilau (Lamb and rice)
Serves 9 people
Instructions for Pilau
1. Soak 6 glasses of rice – minimum 1 hour before cooking.
2. Add the following ingredients into a large pan:
1 1/2 kilo of lamb – neck or chops, 2 bulbs of garlic, 3 inches of garlic , 2 tbs dhanya, 3 tbs zeera, 1 Cloves tbs, 5 Big lechi’s, 6 1/2 inch sticks of ciniman, 1 tbs of whole black pepper, 5 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of garam masala, 1/2 tsp of dried chilli – cook in water until meat is cooked – about 40 mins.
3. Whilst cooking above in another pan brown 6 onions.
4. When onions are nicely browned add 4 tbsp of yogurt and the cooked meat (Do not throw the stock, drain without the whole pieces of spice and put to the side). Brown the meat for a few minutes.
5. Add 8 glasses of water ( 6 plus 1/3 of the qty of rice).
6. Wait for water to boil and add rice – check salt, the water needs to taste quite salty.
7. When water is almost dry put on a tight lid ( optional – wrap lid with foil), also place a heavy weight on top of lid, finally place on an already heated tava (hot iron plate). On a very low heat – cook for 25mins. The tava will make sure the rice does not stick to the bottom.
Extra yummy if eaten with Boondi Raita
1. Take 1 and 1/2 tubs yogurt and add the following: 1 small onion, 1/2 pealed cumber, 1/4 tsp Salt, 1/2 tsp whole Zeera, 1/2 tsp crush chillis , 1/4 tsp coriander seeds, Few leaves of fresh dhanya, 2 tbsp of Plain Boondi (khara boondi) – soften in hot water for about 3 mins – Garnish with anaar dhana (dry & crushed pomegranate seeds) and chaat masala.